Saturday, September 18, 2010
Technology is a Drug
So many people are using technology these days. It has infected society. Even little children are becoming victims, and it has gotten progressively worse over the years. I used to play video games when I was a child but I also played outside. I hardly hear of children playing outside these days. I only hear of them playing Xbox 360 or PS3 sitting in their rooms not having the same interaction I had when I was their age. I'm sure the generation before me could say something similar about me as well. But do six year old kids REALLY need cell phones and iPods?! What would happen if they didn't get one until high school? Or do high school and college students REALLY need laptops or cell phones either? God forbid they live without those things (sarcasm intended). People are so into their technological devices that their relationships with others have gotten weaker. Boys don't walk girls home anymore, they separately drive. Boys don't drive or walk over to a girl's house anymore to hang out and talk because they can just text or talk on the phone. Families don't get NEAR the amount of family time they should because they all have their separate computers, cell phones, video game consoles, etc. Family game nights don't exist anymore. People are ADDICTED to technology. It makes everything so much easier! No more having to walk or bike to the grocery store to get fresh fruits or vegetables. No more playing outside with friends other than on sports teams. No more having to get up off the couch to change the dial on the TV to change the channel. No more having to walk to class when buses can take one to class. Technology makes life so much easier and efficient for people. It allows people to do work in more quantity and more speed. But is the amount of work we do or the amount of money we make determine how good of people we are? Do people even care how good of a person one is anymore? Or do we base success on how much money one makes or one's position in a business? Hmmm.... I suppose my blog has strayed from the title but it's what needs to be said.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I definitely feel the same way you do about children having cell phones and not going outside to play. I actually just posted a blog about my youngest brother and how he is always on the computer or playing video games. He does not have a cell phone though thank God. I do not think kids need cell phones at least until they get into high school. Anyways I just thought I'd comment because I thought your post was interesting considering I just posted something similar.
ReplyDeleteTatiana
Thanks for the comment Tatiana. Yeah I feel that most people know what's going on but they don't want to stop the progress of technology because it entertains them and makes everything convenient. Also, I think parents are too occupied with work and other things in which they are involved that they are too blind to see what's happening to their children. They just buy whatever for their children to keep them happy and content because the parents don't want to deal with more problems at home.
ReplyDelete