Monday, August 30, 2010
What is the World Coming to?
Why is everyone so absorbed in their iPhones or other smartphones? Why is everyone so obsessed with iPods and listening to music rather than playing it? What has texting done to society? People don't even talk on the phone anymore. They just text or send emails via smartphones and other texting phones. They just use the features of their iPhones to keep track of all their important documents and dates. Do calendars even exist anymore? Or do newspapers? 90% of the information people get these days comes from Twitter, an application that has exploded for no reason. Why do we need to know every single detail about a celebrity's life? They may create music or movies but they have normal regular lives just like we do. People don't even truly appreciate music anymore. They THINK they know what is good and what is lame. What ever happened to actually PLAYING music rather than just LISTENING to it and knowing good music different from the simple 4 chords that in society today is considered "music"? Don't get me wrong, I love Lady Gaga and other Indie Rock/Top 40 music but I also KNOW how to play the classical Beethoven, Bach, and occasional Chopin. What happened to singing about REAL love? A majority of songs on today's radio are based on the "loves" of the artists, but then we soon learn that _________ and __________ have broken up or divorced. It is also ironic that I'm am writing a blog on the Internet ranting about people being obsessed with technology. Hmmm...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think you might have been aiming this directly at all of the generic Disney stars and Justin Bieber. I completely agree with you. Talent has no special meaning to it anymore. You can become a great singer with the magic of auto-tuning then make millions of dollars for saying "Baby" 500 times.
ReplyDelete<3
I am only going to comment on the music part of this.
ReplyDeleteI agree that auto-tune is killing music. I can almost always easily tell when they are using auto-tune, unless they using it only a little bit. Sometimes it is used for the whole song to create the voice of T-Pain Justin Bieber, but it is also used selectively on a few words to pull them up to the correct pitch. (I am not claiming to be an expert, put I have read about it a while ago on the Internet in an article that pointed out the words on which auto-tune was used on in popular songs, and I play guitar)
The sound has become so over used, and it is annoying to me that nearly all of the people on the Billboard Top 100 use it, except the few country songs that are on there, but I have even heard a country song with auto-tune.
I have heard some of it so much that I begin to ignore the auto-tune, for example Lady Gaga and a few songs by other artists.
If T-Pain and maybe two other artists used it to create a special voice sound, then that would be fine, but when the majority of popular new music in people using it is annoying, as are artists using it on one word instead of re-recording the song in the studio.
I would appreciate if more new artists would become popular, while not using auto-tune.
Society is replacing the real, with the fake. Just like we do with conversations. What makes this instance a bad thing? I don't enjoy it. If I didn't enjoy texting, I would probably say the same thing about texting.
Yeah I agree with you. Technology can be good if used in moderation. On the other hand, I don't agree with what you said about Lady Gaga. She is a GREAT musician and if you listen to any of her acoustic music, you'd find out. But I DO agree too many people use Auto-Tune just because they can't sing or to get that effect that some people who don't know much about music like. You're also right about society replacing the real with the fake. Fake tans, fake bodily features, fake hair, and worst of all...fake personalities.
ReplyDeleteOK I implied something I did not mean, my bad.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE acoustic Lady Gaga. I have almost all of her acoustic songs and ironically, one of them played on iTunes as I wrote that. She could make all of her songs like this.
She has a great voice, and is using Auto-Tune purely for the odd sound effect it gives her voice. Some people do this. But regardless of why it is used, it still has the distinctive Auto-Tune sound of everyone else who can't sing at all, and is still replacing the real with the fake. Unfortunately I have never heard the real voice of Lady Gaga on the radio. Most of society must want the fake.
Will this ever change? Electric guitar and the cool pedal effects were about as common as Auto-Tune and electronic sounds are now in the top 100. Electric guitar is still extremely popular. Would the people from the acoustic guitar only era think the same about my electric guitar as I think about T-Pain's copy of Auto-Tune? Maybe
Perhaps 12 year old girls that don't know how to pirate music yet are controlling the iTunes top 100, and thus what is popular in the music industry, with parent credit cards. It's all just speculation.
Hahahahahahahaha! I liked that last paragraph about the 12-year-old girls. Yeah I suppose society IS replacing the real with the fake, but then again, technology offers new and different sounds and types of music. I am kind of into electronic and dance music so I may be a little contradicting. But in reality, most songs these days are only 4 chords and generally the same chord progression throughout the whole song. I think this is because people like being able to predict the next beat and the next chord and that's how artists or "artists" appeal to their audiences. But in today's society, it's not all about who sings well or performs well or has talent anymore; it's a little more about charisma and how the artists appeal to the audiences.
ReplyDelete