Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Peer Illustrated Argumentative Essay

I loved ALL the illustrated argumentative essays I saw today. One which particularly stood out to me was the project with a hand made of blades of grass touching the tip of its finger with that of a hand made of aluminum foil and metal. I did not find an artist's letter for this piece but it definitely caught my attention. The two fingers were touching only on the tip like E.T. The project looked so simple yet so profound. Just two hands, touching as if in agreement or understanding. As if they wanted to fuse together and create some sort of metallic/grass hand. As if they wanted to be a cyborg.

What I got from this piece was the fact that nature and technology are continuously growing closer to being one. I see that humans continue to become more dependent on technology and that all over the world, industry is taking over. I see that we humans also create technology and robots that increasingly develop qualities of humanity and become more humanlike. Both opposite ends of the spectrum are becoming more like one another and eventually they will meet. This is what I feel the project was exemplifying.

This idea in my opinion is terrible!!!! Why would be want to become robots?! Why would we want to be programmed and not have to do anything?! That's the beauty of life! Having to walk around and breathe in the fresh air, having to deal with problems we have without the use of technology. If humanity and technology ever meet and reach a point when they are the same, there would be nothing to distinguish us from technology. I can't imagine technology ever having true emotions or feelings. I can't imagine technology having a conscience and knowing what is right from what is wrong. A new species will have been created, one which God did not create. It will have been one which we humans will have created and we should not have that power. We ought not have the power to control life nor take it away. Now I'm reaching a moral concept that is more appropriate to be discussed elsewhere.

There is no doubt that humans and technology are increasingly becoming closer to being one another, but there is something we can do about it. But no one is willing to. The ease and efficiency technology brings to us makes us addicted and dependent to it. Maybe the point when humans and technology meet is inevitable, or maybe everyone will one day realize that there must be a stopping point. But who knows what that point will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment